Temporary Housing Situation or Homeless (McKinney-Vento)

  • Who is eligible for services?

    McKinney-Vento Definition of Homeless *42 U.S.C § 11434a(2)

    The term “homeless children and youth”

    Means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence…,; and
    Includes-Children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;
    Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is public or private place not designated for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings…,;
    Children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
    Migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (a) through (c).

    McKinney-Vento Rights

    Homeless youth can enroll in school even if they have uncertain housing, a temporary address or no permanent physical address. They are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if they live: 

    In a shelter (family, domestic violence or youth shelter) or a transitional living program
    In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
    In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
    In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not a parent or guardian
    In substandard housing without electricity, water or heat
    With friends or family because they are a runaway or unaccompanied youth
    To enroll or attend school, if you live under any of these conditions, you do not need to provide:

    Proof of residency
    Immunization records or TB skin test results
    School records
    Legal guardianship papers
    You may:

    Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
    Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance boundary or district.
    Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
    Qualify automatically for free and reduced-price breakfast and lunches



For questions or support, contact:

Victor Carcamo, Coordinator of Student Services
714-244-0240 or [email protected] or

Kristen Crowe, Director of Student Services,
760-898-2715 or [email protected].